28 September 2010

File Under: Audio

The dictionary defines an audiophile simply as “an audio enthusiast.” A short, all too simple definition for my lifelong obsession with sound. Thanks go to my dad for getting the ball rolling on my aural hobby. As early as age three I remember his portable reel-to-reel and microphone recording me in one of his interviews with me his toddler son barely old enough to talk. Flash forward a few years later I had taken up the hobby recording sound effects—doors slamming, thunder clapping—with a stereo cassette boom box and an electret condenser microphone. Just like Daddy I had been bitten by the audio bug.

Age 17, I began and continued a career in radio only as an excuse to play with all the knobs and switches that shaped sound. It was never for the purpose of money or fame. I was also a very young and capable soundman in church often wearing my emotions on my sleeve because older folks often lacked the deep understanding of audio I possessed. In time I learned to put my hobby in perspective: got a real job, learned how to deal with ignorance, developed diplomacy and generally became less of a nerd. As the short dictionary definition proves, society as a whole cares much less than I do for audio. That’s alright we all have our interests. If only I could combine my experience and attitude now into my teen ears.

Stay tuned

©2010 Neal Rhoden. The Peanut Whistle blog. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Labels

1980's (1) 1983 (1) 1984 (2) 1990 (2) 1991 (2) 1992 (1) 2010 (3) 2011 National Quartet Convention (3) 75 (1) 8 track (1) ABC (2) american (2) analog sound (2) audio (7) awesome Gospel airchecks (4) Bill Gaither (1) birthday (1) blogging (13) Bluetooth (1) bologna (1) book diary (1) Brad Paisley (1) Breakfast with Burl (3) Burl Womack (3) Career achievement award (2) career choices (3) catholic (1) CCM (7) Chris Watkins (1) Christian Country (1) christian scandals (1) church (2) church culture (2) Classic Imperials (1) computers (1) consolodation (1) country (2) Country music (3) crossover (1) Dennis the Menace (1) depression cure (2) digital (2) Digital vs. Analog (1) Dixie Melody Boys (1) DJ (5) Dogs (1) economy (2) electronics (5) Elvis (2) exercise (1) Facebook (2) family history (1) family life (19) FCC (1) football (5) Ford (1) Foreigner (1) Fun (1) Gaither Vocal Band (1) Garden City Georgia (1) general store (1) Georgia Radio Hall of Fame (1) Gospel music (8) Gospel Rewind Radio (2) gramophone records (1) Gran Torino (1) Grin Radio (1) Halloween (1) health (1) history (1) Humor (4) Imperials favorite group (1) impractical ideas (1) insomna (1) Internet (4) Internet radio (4) Irish (1) J900 (1) kids (2) Let's Make a Deal (1) Lulow Porch (1) marketing (2) modification (2) network news (1) New media (3) New Year (1) Novelties (1) Paul Harvey (2) peanut whistle (8) podbean (1) podcast (1) podcasting (1) pop history (5) programming (3) psychology (1) radio (15) radio history (31) radio production notes (3) random (2) restoration (5) retail (1) Rock music crossover (1) rural (1) Saint Patrick's Day (1) Satire (1) Savannah (5) Savannah Skate Inn (5) Skate culture (3) small market radio (3) small town (2) small town radio (7) society (3) southern culture (11) southern gospel (7) Sports-Talk (1) talent (3) technology (17) Telecommunications Act of 1996 (3) telephone (1) television (2) The Beatles (1) Tiger Woods (1) tour (2) TV (2) video (1) vinyl (2) WBKI (2) WDCY-AM (2) WEAS (7) weather (1) Wendy Bagwell (1) WGUN-AM (1) whimsy (1) Winans (1) WKRP in Cincinnati (2) WNMT (1) woodworking (4) work (2) WSB-AM (1) WSPZ aircheck (1) WWJD (4) WZAT (3) YouTube (3) Z-102 (3)